- The song lyrics consists of various rock and heavy metal song titles and the song is considered a tribute to the bands that wrote them.
- In the early days of the band's performances, Joakim would change chorus of Metal Machine to the chorus of "Vacker utan spackel" by Swedish pop-rock musician Joakim Hillson.
Pär: "Sometimes when we play "Metal Machine" we end up with a different text. We use the lyrics from one of the stupidest songs that has ever managed to be played on the radio. Translated, it means something like "beautiful without make up". And it fits perfectly into the melody of our song. So we take a break in the middle of the song, and then start with the other text. At first people stare at us and then laugh and sing along. It really is the stupidest song ever in Sweden, everyone hates it and people know we only play it because it came on the radio so many times. Therefore everyone knows it and sings along and has fun with it. Sometimes we have fun and ask the audience: "Would you sing the worst song ever in Sweden with the band?"
- The last time the band performed the song entirely (altough shortened), without Metal Crüe, was on the Swedish TV4 (with a shortened version of Cliffs Of Gallipoli), during the program "Nyhetsmorgon" 2.07.2008.
- The song was played as the last song (as Metal Medley, with Metal Crüe) on Sabaton concerts until 2011.
Peter Tägtgren had given me these Metal 'zines to read, and all these big bands were on the cover, so that is when the melody came to me, and I wrote the lyrics."
Joakim: "(...) it’s also funny to write these songs. It's a lot of fun writing the music and lyrics. The boys lock me into the rehearsal room with a pen, where I then have to write the lyrics on toilet paper or on the back of a beer mat. And they don't let me out until I'm done with it. (Laughs)."
Songs referenced in "Metal Machine"
- Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark, Afraid To Shoot Strangers
- W.A.S.P. - Animal (Fuck Like A Beast)
- Def Leppard - Animal
- Judas Priest – All Guns Blazing
- KISS - Love Gun
- Judas Priest - The Sentinel
- Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
- Black Sabbath - Paranoid
- Guns 'N' Roses - Paradise City
- The Doors - The End
- Anthrax – Madhouse
- Judas Priest - Breaking The Law
- Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes To Midnight
- Ozzy Osbourne - Bark At The Moon
- Dio - Rainbow In The Dark
- Manowar - Kings Of Metal
- Helloween – Ride The Sky
- Metallica - St. Anger
- Ozzy Osbourne - Ultimate Sin
- Deep Purple - Black Knight
- Rainbow - Gates Of Babylon
- Mötley Crüe - Shout At The Devil
- Gene Simmons – Always Near You / Nowhere To Hide
- Manowar - Fighting The World
- W.A.S.P. - Wild Child
- Accept - Metal Heart
- Accept - Balls To The Wall
- Sabaton - Masters of the World
I have a phobia, a fear of the dark